Sunday, April 21, 2013

The Ultimate Perfect Cupcakes

“Find something you're passionate about and keep tremendously interested in it.”
- Julia Child

The month of March was no sweets or desserts, and yet I did the most baking during that month. My workplace was holding a St. Patricks Day bake sale to raise money for the Hawaii Foodbank 24th Annual Food Drive. I decided to bake cupcakes which took a lot of self control not to taste test on my own. My family was more than willing to be my guinea pigs though!


Before the bake sale I did some online 'shopping' for inspiration. I came across some really good ideas and decided to combine a few together to create one product. I got the recipe for the vanilla cupcakes from Glorious Treats and could not have received better compliments from my 'guinea pigs' about the result. Hoosier Homemade had a great idea of layering different colored batters into a gradient effect cupcake. Last but most definitely not least, Just Call Me Maria inspired me on making Lucky Charm Cupcakes! I found an online recipe for buttercream frosting but the recipe absolutely failed so I will not be posting that link. My St. Patrick's Day cupcakes didn't turn out quite as I had planned, mainly due to the consistency of the frosting.



The idea of the layered colors did not work out so well with this recipe. The cupcake batter was too runny for the layering effect to come out right. I made a second batch of just plain vanilla cupcakes with no food coloring. 

All this followed with green frosting, a marshmallow out of the lucky charms cereal, and a holiday appropriate flag. I printed the template from How Does She. Last but not least I got the packaging idea from Pinterest. Using a 9oz cup fits the cupcake perfectly for a no mess packaging. 




The cupcakes were a huge hit that I made them again for Easter. This time around, I used purple frosting, pink sugar sprinkles, and Cadbury mini chocolate eggs. I used a different recipe for the buttercream frosting, from Cooking Classy. The result of the frosting turned out so much better, as you can see in the picture. 




- R

No comments:

Post a Comment